The Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Poland
The Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Poland is the largest evangelical Church in Poland with over 60,000 members.
A tradition of service dating back to the Reformation itself
The church emerged as a result of the XVI century Reformation movement, which reached Poland quickly and gave impulse to the activity of local reformers who created independent church structures. The name of the church refers to the Gospel (gr. evangélion) – the Good News about Jesus Christ – and the Reformation’s confession of faith read out in Augsburg to Emperor Charles V in 1530.
Today, the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Poland is a minority church, the numbers of which vary from region to region. The largest population lives in Cieszyn Silesia region (about 47,000). Smaller communities can be found in Upper Silesia and Masuria. Lutheran parishes in the rest of the country are located in larger cities. The church functions mainly in the diaspora, in six dioceses. It has 133 parishes and 150 ministers. It is one of the founding members of the Lutheran World Federation.