Measures to protect participants of the Thirteenth Assembly
The Lutheran World Federation is looking forward to running a successful and enriching Assembly. Given the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic, there are risks and implications we must consider, including the feasibility of holding the Assembly.
The LWF Executive Committee has established key areas it will monitor and created associated benchmarks in the interest of safety and security, and duty of care. They are:
- participation of official delegates and establishing a quorum at the Assembly
- airline regulations, given that more than 80 percent of delegates will be travelling by air
- COVID-19 policies and restrictions by the Polish government pertaining to vaccination, transit and stopovers en route, and any restrictions on mass gatherings
- any COVID-19 restrictions upon return to home country
- the impact of new COVID-19 variants
- the personal preferences and comfort levels of attendees
The Council is expected to decide in June 2022 whether to proceed with the Assembly. The possibility of holding the Assembly entirely or in part online, should a postponement or cancellation be made, is also being examined.
We will keep attendees updated as decisions are made. In the meantime, preparations continue in the expectation of an Assembly in Poland, with full attendance by all delegates.